Saturday, January 23, 2016

"The Fifth Wave": A Book That Makes You Question Humanity



I have anticipated reading Rick Yancey's The Fifth Wave for some time now and I heard mixed reviews about it, but once I read the last words, on the last page I was completely surprised.

The 5th Wave follows two main protagonists; Cassie and Ben, in their battle to save the human race from The Others and to survive this now post-apocalyptic world they now live in.

The 1st Wave
"Lights Out"
The 2nd Wave
"Surf Up"
The Third Wave
"Pestilence"
The Fourth Wave
"Silencer"

The themes we see repeated over and over again in The 5th Wave are run=die stay=die and trust no one. In a world like this where your neighbor, an elderly woman or even your best friend could be one of them; Cassie must fend for herself and not trust any one, because in this world looks can deceive you. If you run you die, if you stay you will probably die, but Ben and Cassie both know if they are gonna die, they might as well go out trying.

Cassie's character is probably my favorite character, because she reminds me of myself in many ways. While she isn't as a bad a** female protagonist like other female protagonists I know; she is a bad a** when she has to be in order to survive. I feel like if I was in Cassie's shoes I would be terrified on the inside, but I would put on a 'I will destroy you face' on, on the outside so I am not eliminated by The Others.

While the book focuses on telling the story out of the eyes of both Cassie and Ben Parish or "Zombie", as he is later known; there are a couple of parts in the book in Cassie's younger brother Sammy's point of view and the silencer's point of view. Each part of the book is told by a different character and in that part there are chapters. At first, when I first started reading it; it was hard to decipher who was talking and telling their story when you arrived to a new part of the book. However, once I got at least 100 pages into the book, I started to catch on to the pattern of the changing of the different characters points of views in various parts of the story. Once I got used to the flow and transitioning of the story I got hooked and couldn't put it down.
Overall, this was a wonderful book and I really enjoyed Rick Yancey's writing style. However, I did find the back and forth switching of character's point of views to be a little confusing and hard to get used to at first. Other than that, this book was pretty good and I can't wait to read the rest of the series and to read more of Rick Yancey's works in the future!

MY RATING: 4 Out Of 5 Paw Prints

Signature Fonts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me!

foxyform