Thursday, September 21, 2017

"RoseBlood" By: A.G. Howard Review







I thought this book would be good, but I didn't know it would be this good. I have to admit the first 50 or so pages were really hard for me to get through. However, I don't know if it was because the beginning was too slow paced or if it was because my life was really hectic when I was reading that part of the book.

This book is a retelling of "Phantom of The Opera"but it is also kind of a modern continuation of the story line as well. "RoseBlood" follows a girl named Rune Germain who is sent to a boarding school in Paris that focuses on opera. Rune has made mistakes in her past and her past was darkened by tragedy, so her Mom thought exploring her artistic talent at the RoseBlood boarding school would be good for her.  This conservatory is actually a French arts conservatory and was originally the opera house that is rumored to be connected to "The Phantom of The Opera". Her operatic voice is controlling her and she secretly befriends Thorn- who wears a mask and is a violinist, who helps her with controlling her voice in person and dreams. Secrets about Rune's lineage and Thorn's dark agenda come to the surface and Thorn has to choose between his father, the phantom, or Rune who he is destined to love.

The character development was absolutely amazing and all of the main characters have tragic back stories. I absolutely loved getting the point of views of both Rune and Thorn as well.  Also,  this story takes place in a gothic atmosphere and A.G. Howard's vivid and beautifully descriptive imagery  allowed me to picture everything from the Phantom's lair to the conservatory, and I felt like I was actually a part of the story.

There were so many references to "The Phantom of the Opera" (I've only seen the movie) and it made my heart happy. There were several moments that I wanted to started belting out the music from "The Phantom of the Opera" and I smiled whenever there were references.

The relationship of Rune and Thorn was so unique. They were tied together not only by fate but also by music. They both had pasts that darkened their lives and they saved each other from their sorrow. I felt like the love between them was pretty realistic because it was slow burning and there were so many obstacles and a literal labyrinth that tried to keep them apart.  They also got to know each other a lot by meeting each other in dreams, talking and even by singing/playing musical duets through the vents. Rune teaches him about the world he has never known and Thorn teachers her how to control the music inside of her.

I absolutely loved this book and everything about it! I highly recommend it if you like books set in boarding schools, if you want a realistic but epic love story, or even if you are a big fan of the "Phantom of the Opera"! If you read it it will take you to a gothic world, set in a music conservatory,                                    
with romance and paranormal elements. If you pick it up, I guarantee you won't put it down!


My Rating: 5 Out Of 5 Paw Prints



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Me!

foxyform